Monday, December 5, 2011

Nativities.








I have several collections. One of my favorites is rooted back in my childhood.

One of the few memories I have of my childhood was my mom's nativity set. I remember being told to take a nap while mom and my older siblings decorated the tree. When I was allowed to get up the tree would be beautifully decorated with a nativity underneath. The only thing not done would be the baby Jesus in the manger. That was my job. The nativity was one most likely purchased in Germany, where I was born. I have researched what I remember of it and it seems to be either German or Italian in origin, and made of paper mache. The baby however was the tiniest plastic doll I have ever seen, maybe an inch in length. I have found on ebay nativities with that exact make up. Unfortunately they always go much higher than my meager budget!

So I collect others, until the day I can get one exactly like the one I remember.





My collecting began with 3 nativities my mother in love gave me about 4 years ago. they were hers that she down sized when moving from her large home into her retirement home.







Then a couple years ago I fell in love with 2 that Penney's had on sale and Beloved bought me both! one was traditional. The other was of children.





The snow globe my youngest found as a child on some ones trash pile.


The wooden angel my sil made for mil and it was downsized to me.





Next is a metal set I found at a yard sale this summer. I love how english they look.




This wooden set I discovered at a thrift store this summer and I fell head over heels in love with the look on the babe's face.





Last is another ceramic set I got yard saling.

I have a couple more sets still boxed in a closet until I find a place to display them. My nativities stay up all year and I love each and every one!

hugs y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment