Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I think the time change turned my life into a tornado...



Wow I keep meaning to blog. Then I think oh this is not interesting enough... then I get busy and forget to talk at all!

The last couple weeks have been a whirlwind. I went to my doc on a Tuesday. It was just a check up. Then I told her about the pain in my right shoulder that has been on going for about 3 months. She did a quick exam and said I am sending you for an mri... huh? She explained the pain was coming from my neck.

So the next Tuesday I am off to the mri place. If I ever do that again it will be on valium. Seriously. They ask you are you claustrophobic? Ummm I wasn't until I went through that...

So that afternoon she calls me back and says... There are "abnormalities and seeming cord involvement".I have scheduled you an appointment with a neurosurgeon. I was stunned but ok. Actually the appointment was with his PA.

So then Wednesday I get a call to confirm the appointment. A very serious sounding young man says he is calling to confirm my appointment with the "Shannon Heart and Cancer Center"...
Having just been given my 5 year all clear, my heart was in my throat. I kept trying to tell myself his office just happened to be in that building. It didn't work very well. God did give me peace, otherwise I would have curled up in a ball and cried. I did not cry.

So the next morning I left extra early, because I know only the general location of this place and it is downtown and my appointment is at 8, just when the church schools are getting started. There are 3 large church schools in the area around the medical center...

So I get there and wait until some one opens the door. Oh yes I got there at 730... When signing in I explain to the lady about my agitation at the cancer center statement. She gets this puzzled look on her face and says, I do not know why he said that, this is the brain and spine institute... She will talk to him about it...

So I go to the exam, walking on air to know it is NOT a cancer related matter... The PA is a very sweet young lady who puts me at ease almost instantly. She does a thorough exam, even to the stick your tongue out and say ah...

She says there is no cord involvement. She also says the doc who had told me years ago I have permanent nerve damage and needed surgery, well lets just say I think now he is a quack... She says yes there are signs of nerve damage but whether or not is it permanent he could not have known from the xrays he had. Nor could he have known I needed immediate surgery. She made me very glad I refused surgery at that time!

I am now scheduled for PT 3 times a week for the next 6 weeks. She gave me a prescription for a pain pill that I have cut in 1/2 and take only at bed time. She and my doc agree that I have probably been in constant pain for so long I have become used to it. So when I actually feel pain, it is really bad. She says up to 5 advil 3 times a day (I usually handle things with 3) and I can take 1 of the new pills also 3 times a day if needed.

I have taken 1/2 at bed time and noticed I woke feeling rested and had real energy for the first time in a long time. I am still in pain. There are 3 bulging discs in my neck, that is the cause. I go see the PT folks on Monday. My goal is proactive recovery, with no surgery and hopefully no shots!

While all of this was going on, my oldest son bought a real house and moved! His new house is in a much better area, and is in excellent condition.

Well we are having breakfast for dinner tonight so I need to go get ready!
I plan to write much more often.

hugs y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am so happy for you that it isn't cancer and you won't need surgery. I understand pain tolerance. I have cord injury and i deal with pain on a higher level every day. So when I have a good day its like wow. Hope the pt works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an experience...guess I should read blogs more often...glad that it is all "ok"
    Hugs, dear friend, and hoping that you are feeling better soon.
    Ma

    ReplyDelete